I knew it’s been a while since I’ve blogged, but 2 weeks! There’s been so much going on it’s been hard to keep up with life, much less a blog, but here’s a few highlights (mostly geeky):
* Wrote a small C# app for a client, and had to deal with all the lovely intricacies of ‘publishing’ an app. Really, I *just* want to generate a EXE and give it to someone to test, but the VSExpress wizards didn’t have that option. The auto-numbering version stuff was sort of neat, but everything assumed (of course) this would all be pushed out to an IIS/Windows server. How do I know? Cause the directory and file names it made were capitalized, but the HTML page generated to link to the files used all lower-case references. Windows servers aren’t case sensitive, but Unix/Linux are. Just one more small little thing to make it harder to deploy on non-MS tech (and completely avoidable).
* Got Zend certified. Bit of a long story to this one I won’t bore you with here, but I managed to get that done last week. Was nervous as heck (always am before tests) but it went OK.
* Had a good catchup with Fred and Shawn from our Java group over dinner last night. Nothing amazing in and of itself, but it was *great* to just sit and talk tech with some friends for a few hours. Very refreshing. While I don’t know Fred or Shawn terribly well yet (have met each just a few times before) both are very sharp, experienced, and tolerated my rants, so automatically I think they’re great!
* Am making some more progress on my Groovy Magazine project. I think we’ll be ready for a Nov 1 launch. Oct would be too soon I think, given current schedules.
* Signed up for devunity.com – looks suspiciously like a system I’ve tried twice (unsuccessfully) to write, and if it’s half as good as I’m expecting, it’ll be awesome.
* Have been bombarded with more project ideas than I care to have, but can perhaps implement one of these in November if things slow down.
So many things cross my mind over the course of a day, and yet I rarely have time to write them down here. I’ll try to post more regularly here!
I'm currently working on a book for web freelancers, covering everything you need to know to get started or just get better. Want to stay updated? Sign up for my mailing list to get updates when the book is ready to be released!